Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Amazing salad!

Salad.

'nuff said.

Just kidding! That was not "enough said." This salad is amazing! I needed to take a salad someplace and wanted to try something new. Now normally that's considered a big no-no, because your little creation might just be horrible. I'm not sure what got into me. I felt a little confident because on allrecipes.com, it had 220+ reviews and everyone raved about it. Also, it was a make-the-lemon-poppyseed-dressing recipe, which I've never tried before. My family really liked it, and so did everyone! It has apples, pears, cashews, shredded Swiss, dried cranberries, romaine, and yes, it's a little time intensive. But I spread it out a bit, and it was worth it. It's a new favorite.

Want the recipe?

Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons diced onion
1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup cashews
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 apple - peeled, cored and diced
1 pears - peeled, cored and diced

Directions
In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, lemon juice, onion, mustard and salt. Process until well blended. With machine still running add oil in a slow steady stream until mixture is thick and smooth. Add poppy seeds and process just a few seconds more to mix.
In a large serving bowl combine the romaine lettuce, shredded Swiss cheese, cashews, dried cranberries, cubed apple and cubed pear. Toss to mix then pour dressing over salad just before serving and toss to coat. Makes 12-1 c. servings.

I recommend reading the reviews on allrecipes.com, because there are helpful hints and suggestions (like cut up the apples and pears ahead of time, and put them in the dressing so they won't brown). I made the recipe times 4, and we're still using the dressing because it makes so much. But it's delicious, and we'll make more when it's gone! Let me know if you try it and what you think.

7 comments:

Tara said...

That's not very nice of you... Yes, we want the recipe! You're going to make us look it up on All Recipes, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

Forget the cashews and it'd be perfect!

No, you did a great job, Mommy. It was really yummy. :P

Lindy said...

Yes--please share, though if you don't, I"ll just go to all recipes myself. If you do, it'll just make me love you a tiny bit more!

Brian, Tracy, Rachel, Kyle, Elise, and Daniel said...

I'll share! I was just wondering if anyone was reading this! :)

John Dotegowski said...

Was it hard to get all the little bugs off before you ate it?

Sisters 4 said...

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.... That looks DELICIOUS!! :) May we have the recipe? :)

~Bekah S.

Brian, Tracy, Rachel, Kyle, Elise, and Daniel said...

You're so funny, John. "Ignore the man behind the curtain..."

Actually, that did make me laugh...